Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Pat's Day!

Today was a beautiful one for preparing garden beds and working in the yard in general. The birds are chirping and the ground is just slightly damp.

I used soil from the compost pile and planted tomato, bell pepper and butternut squash seeds in small containers. Afterward I watered them with luke warm water and covered them with clear plastic wrap using rubber bands to hold it in place. Once they germinate and sprout I'll remove the plastic so they have air. I've yet to start cucumber, onion, chives and cabbage. I would like to grow brussel sprouts this year and this is a good time to start those seedlings also...oh, and of course sunflowers.

Peas are a cool weather plant so this is a good time to turn over some soil and plant peas in the ground along with spinach, lettuces and arugala. This is a good time also to direct seed beets, potatoes, early turnips and swiss chard. I'm hoping to have all these seeds sown before Sunday.

Sageymania

No comments:

Post a Comment